What is sports therapy?
Sports Therapy is a type of physical therapy that specifically focuses on preventing injury and on rehabilitation of the patient back to the best possible levels of function.
Sports Therapy treatments are not just beneficial to the sports person, but to anyone with aches, pains or injuries.
Sports Therapy focuses highly on the individual’s lifestyle, including profession, fitness levels, hobbies, posture and general lifestyle. This is done by a comprehensive, initial assessment which will include a full posture assessment, spoken and physical assessment to fully understand where the root of the pain is coming from. This is then followed by a personally tailored treatment and may include relevant sports massage techniques, ultrasound therapy, mobilisation techniques, stretching, taping techniques and a full rehabilitation programme tailored for your individual requirements.
During your treatment you may possibly undergo Maitland and Mulligan Vertebral and Peripheral mobilisation techniques to help improve your injury.
Maitland and Mulligan mobilisation techniques can be used to help increase mobility, reduce stiffness, reduce pain, reduce postural faults and increase overall wellbeing.
This treatment is usually combined with massage work as the soft tissue structures are more relaxed and loosened after massage. There are many different mobilisation techniques that will be used to achieve your goals; therefore a full assessment will need to be undertaken prior to treatment. Mobilisations will be considered if you are suffering from reduced range of movement from a joint or the vertebral column. Or if you are suffering from pain including ‘nerve like’ symptoms (pins and needles, numbness, reduced strengthen, loss of feeling).
So why choose Boardman Sport and Injury Therapy?
• We have studied many different therapies which can help with your injury, pain, conditions and holistic needs.
• We work with all different ages, genders, sporting and non-sporting clients.
• We have worked with in many different sporting environments.
• We are constantly updating training, so are up to date with current treatments and techniques.
• We have 2 therapy clinics. Based in Rushden (67 Wellingborough Road, Above Mike Neville Estate Agents) and Kettering ( 33 Bath Road)
• No additional costs for rehabilitation exercises, rehabilitation bands, localised k taping (for specific injury / condition).
•Appointments available early morning through to late evenings and Saturday mornings.
We do treat children, however a parent or guardian must be present if the child is 16 years of below. If the child is 17 years we will need consent to treatment, however it is not necessary for parent or guardian to be present if they do not want to be.
So who is Sports Therapy suitable for?
• People suffering from muscle tension
• People suffering from joint stiffness
• Sporting Injuries
• Aches and pains
• Chronic (longstanding) aches and pains
• Acute (new) aches and pains
• Overuse injuries
• Back pain
• Cramp suffers
• Shin Splints
• Achilles Tendonitis
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Frozen shoulder
• Patellar Tracking dysfunction
• Chronic/ acute headaches/ Migraine
• Thoracic outlet syndrome
• IT band Impingement
• Shoulder impingement
• Golfers/ Tennis elbow
• Bad posture / postural disorders
• Sport related injuries
• SI (sacroiliac) joint dysfunction
• Plantar Fasciitis
• Reduced mobility
• Trapped nerves
• House wife’s knee (prepatellar bursitis)
• Sever's disease
• De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
• RA (Arthritis )Pain
• Labral tears
• Hip, back, neck, shoulder, knee, ankle, wrist, elbow, fractures / dislocation/ tissue traumas
• Spondylosis / Spondylitis
• Disc herniation
• Ankylosing Spondylitis
• Upper cross / Lower cross syndrome
• Anterior pelvic tilt
• Osgood Schlatter Disease
Pre and Post operation rehabilitation
We work closely with many pre and post opp patients at Boardman Sport and Injury Therapy.
It is important to make sure you are in the best possible state prior to your surgery. We work with many people who are due; knee and hip opps/ replacement, frozen shoulder surgery, impingement surgery, back surgery and much more. We have worked with all different ages and abilities who have really benefited from pre opp treatment.
Preparing your body physically though exercise is not wasted time prior to an operation!! If your soft tissue is In a ‘good / healthy’ state before surgery, it is likely to reduce recovery time post opp. We work by providing personally tailored exercises plans and provide treatment (where appropriate).
Post operation rehabilitation is just as important as pre-opp. We always recommend that our clients follow the advise of their surgeon and aftercare team after an operation, however we are also here to help. We can provide post opp rehabilitation exercises and treatment to help reduce healing time, reduce scare tissue, reduce pain and improve mobility... getting you back on track sooner!
If you are due to have surgery and would like some more information of how we can help you. Please get in touch.